Health & Wellbeing
Many people in South Africa, especially those living in impoverished communities, face many challenges that have a negative impact on their health and wellbeing, many of these as a result of poor access to nutritious food. At Soil for Life we are growing healthy soil, healthy people and healthy communities. One of the ways we are doing this is through our Health and Wellbeing programme which aims to equip people with the knowledge and tools to live happier, healthier and fulfilling lives.
Our Health and Wellbeing workshops are open to both our home gardeners and other community members in five low-income areas.
During bi-monthly workshops a wide variety of topics are covered to provide simple, practical knowledge on a variety of issues including:
- How the body works
- Common lifestyle problems and diseases such as arthritis, diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure
- Human, soil and environmental health
- Food groups; economical and healthy food
- Correct use of herbs and weeds for food and as alternate remedies for health problems
- The importance of exercise and breathing correctly
- How to use thoughts and feelings to boost confidence and morale
- Mental health issues, sleep, meditation and stress management